Pages

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Liberty Creek Wines

I decided to try Liberty Creek wine because the register at the grocery store spit out a couple $2 off coupons.  Coupons for wine are a novelty so I went in search of it.

The first thing I noticed was the size of the bottle - 1.5 liters, which is called a Magnum.  It is double the size of a standard wine bottle.

The second thing I noticed was the shelf price - $6.99.  Wait, what?  This was not in the section that contained the Franzia and Arbor Mist.  With my coupon, that comes down to $4.99 per bottle.  Now I HAD to buy it.

I chose a Pinot Grigio and a Merlot.  Both tasted nice.  Nice is really the most descriptive word I can use. It is a straight up, no frills table wine.

Both smell pleasant straight out of the bottle.  There is no whiff of alcohol fumes.  Both have mild flavors that are pleasant.  As described by the maker, they have a light finish.

The problem is, both lack anything resembling body.  There is nothing that makes you slow down to sip, savor and think while drinking it.  You could easily chug down a tumbler full of this wine before realizing what you had done, which is not a good idea with the 12% alcohol per volume.

Although there is no Wow-factor, it is nice and I don't have any reason to say it should be avoided.  I'd call it a tall step up from wine cooler, but not something you'd bring as a hostess gift to a formal dinner party.  I can picture it working well for informal settings like summertime parties outdoors or as a stepping stone for a newbie wine drinker.

http://www.libertycreekwine.com

No comments:

Post a Comment