Pages

Monday, April 28, 2014

Winking Owl Wine; getting your drink on for $2.89

Our local Aldi store added a small section of wine, beer and liquor.  Their Wine of The Month for March was Winking Owl, and far be it from me to pass up on $2.89 bottles.

I brought home five of the six varietals, skipping only the (pink) White Zinfandel.  That isn't a favorite of mine from source and I felt I'd be predisposed to dislike it.  The other Winking Owl options are Pinot Grigio, Chardonny, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvingon, and Shiraz.   In general I favor reds.

Each bottle has a back label that ranks Style (light to full-bodied) and Taste (dry to sweet). It also has notes, food pairing suggestions, serving temperature and origin. It amuses me that most of the descriptions start with the word "subtle".

Merlot - "Subtle flavors of black cherry, mixed berries, and a hint of vanilla." Medium, dry
Pretty pomegranate red, fruity jam scent but slight alcohol fumes when opened.  Let it breathe for awhile and that dissipates.  The taste is lightly tart, dry.  Not bad at all, but not wonderful.

Pinot Grigio - "Subtle flavors of citrus, stone fruits, pear and a hint of honeysuckle." Light, semi-dry
Very pale yellow, sweet pear scent straight upon opening.  Smooth, light, but significant. Delicious!  I would serve this to guests.

Cabernet Sauvignon - "Subtle flavors of blackberry, plum, toasted oak and a hint of vanilla." Medium, semi-dry
Deep ruby red, somewhat stale smell, very flat tasting.  I let the bottle sit for another day and tried again.  Slightly rusty and the barest hint of vinegar.  Fine for cooking wine but not a sipping wine. It is possible that I got a bad bottle.

Chardonnay - "Subtle flavors of ripe apple, pear, toasted oak and a hint of spice." Light, semi-sweet.
Light yellow, fruity aroma.  Sweet and smooth.  A lot of chardonnays tend to be buttery, but not this one.  It is light and clean with no residuals.  I don't really pick up on any oak or spice in this one. I prefer the richer type, but this one will please fans of pinot and zin.

Shiraz - "Subtle flavors of black cherry, blackberry, and a hint of spice." Full, dry
Such a deep burgundy that it looks black unless you hold it directly to the light. Deep, earthy aroma. When first opened, the flavor is nice but weak. It was disappointing, but I discovered that it improved the next day, so I recommend uncorking 24 hours before serving.

White Zinfandel - "Cranberry and watermelon flavors with notes of fresh strawberry and cherry."
Didn't try this one, but thought I should at least include the default description. Given the properties of the other whites, I have no doubt that fans of white zin will love it.


Results - for best enjoyment stick with the Pinot Grigio and Chardonnay for drinking, although the Merlot is not objectionable; allow the Shiraz to breathe before consuming; use the Cabernet cooking or making sangria.



No comments:

Post a Comment