Pages

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Intradermal Flu Shot

I was flipping though an older issue of Good Housekeeping and saw a blurb about "ouchless flu shots" and how the newer Fluzone Intradermal shot uses a very short, thin needle to put the vaccine in your skin instead of into the muscle.   I felt compelled to share an opinion.

This winter, I had the intradermal type shot.  I didn't choose it over the traditional kind, it was just what was available after places ran out of the other.

I don't think regular shots hurt overly much.  The intradermal kind burned like a bee sting.  It itched like crazy for a couple of hours, and remained a raised welt for a week.  It is 3 months later and I still have a very faint bruise-like discoloration at the injection site.

There was no muscle soreness like sometimes happens with a traditional shot, but I'd rather have dealt with that.

Not a fan of Fluzone Intradermal.

No comments:

Post a Comment